Wednesday, October 20, 2010

three wins and a first place.

KVAC CHAMPS!
Eastern Maine, this is our state.

The course was muddy and a mess, as were the people

We were ready though, we have been training for these weeks since August 16th, and this past Monday, October 11th we had completed our hardest workout of the year, intense workouts that all added up to 16 miles.

Standing on the line, we knew we had a job to do. It was my job to run a good race, and if possible, catch and beat EL's Faisal Noor. Nick and Jake had the job of catching Hussein of EL and Nick Demo needed to try and catch as many of the EL kids as possible. and our 5 Nate was going for Bourget. We were all trying to beat as many EL kids as possible. Luckily, our 6 and 7 are faster than any other teams 6 and 7 which means that if it ever comes down to a tie we win.

The race was tough. Going out, I was in a pack with Harlow (Mess), Eben (EA), and Faisal (EL) eventually they kinda dropped and it was Harlow and I going out, it felt kinda slow to me, but I knew the second mile would be a pain. Stupidly I looked at my watch shortly before the mile mark and thought I was going too fast, so I pulled up a bit behind Harlow and that's when I broke. After that even though I knew I should have been going faster, mentally I was having issues. I kept with Harlow until we got to the field at the top of the hill, then I got a bad cramp. As I came through the 2 mile I knew it was going to be a tough race. As we went back up the hill on the other side right before the blueberry fields Eben and Faisal got around me, I tried to stick with them but I was dead. When Evan caught up with me I knew I couldn't let him get around me. I ran with him and didn't let him pass. Luckily when we came out of the woods for the last 3/4 of a mile or so, my cramp got a little less worse, and I was able to increase my pace, as we crossed the football field I pushed myself into a fast fast run, almost a sprint. when I crested the little hill after the football field I realized Faisal was dying and I took off, I made sure to sprint through the line completely, and ended up losing to him by .2 of a second. Nick Parsons beat Mt. Blue's Jaron Jones but not Hussein. In the end it didn't matter, we beat all the other teams.
On the girls side we also won, by a ton! 27 points to the runner up of Brunswick 75 points.
For the JV races, our girls team also won, and on the boys side, while our team didn't win, we did have the individual winner of Senior Peter Burtt.
We got 3 plaques out of a 4 plaque meet, I'd call that a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment