Tuesday, October 12, 2010

four wins and a record.

Look out Maine here we come.

Yesterday we had the Mt. Blue Relays. Both our Boys and Girls A teams were going for the record, boys 58 minutes, girls about 70 minutes.

For the boys, this meant averaging about 11:33's per person, we were hoping this wouldn't be too hard, since I was going for a sub 11, and Jake was going for around 11 flat.
Starting off, Harlow Ladd, Will Lundquist, Chase Brown and I were running together. Lundquist led for the first 3/4 of a mile or so, I then made a move and got around him, with Chase right behind. I went through the mile around a 5:04, which I was happy with, and knew that if I could repeat it I would break the individual course record easily.
Coming down the grass slope shortly after the mile is when Chase Brown managed to get around me, I tried to go with him, and succeeded for a bit, but then he managed to get away. I did manage to hold on Harlow Ladd as we battled for 2nd. A couple of times going up the hill we gained a bit on Chase, but it wasn't enough, and as we all sprinted the last 200 meters or so, Chase managed to come in with a winning time of 10:43, I came in behind him with a 10:49, and Harlow right behind me with a 10:50. I handed off to our number 2 Nick Parson, and went over to receive my other number (a 2) because I also had to run the second leg on our d team.

My coach wanted my to run about 10-13 seconds slower on my second leg than my first, but I ended up just going out and taking it kinda easy and running about a 12:38, which wasn't too bad I thought.

When our number 4 Nate Mackenzie handed off to our number 5 Jake LeTourneau at a little after 46 minutes. this meant that Jake couldn't dilly daddle, and would have to run about an 11 flat. Unfortunately, Jake came in with the final time of 58:23, just 23 seconds off the record, if we had all run about 6 seconds faster, we would have been set.

On the girls side, our last runner, Emma Wood, came in at 68 minutes, 2 minutes faster than the record, breaking it easily.

Overall, both our Boys and Girls, A and B teams won Mt. Blue Relays, Next week, KVACs!

No comments:

Post a Comment