Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Our Course!

So last Thursday our race was at our home MTA course. For some reason, our coach invited Cony to the meet, so instead of just going for a good time, I was now going to have to fight off Will Lundquist.

Going into the race, besides beating Will, I was also going for a sub 17:31, which would get me the Junior Class record for our course for people on the MTA xc team (dating back to 1994 at least)
Since it was our course, I had spent the last 2 days planning on how I was going to run it. I knew that I always run a really good race on our course. (last year I ran faster on our course than I had at EL the week before) I also know that the first mile of our course is extremely deceiving as it is basically flat.
Will and I went through the mile mark at a 5:04ish, I knew that was fast, but I also felt really smooth and comfortable, and felt like Will was pacing which made it easier. When we got to the first mile, I "took off" and got maybe 20 feet ahead of Will, I then stuck ahead of him. When I reached this short steep sandy downhill near the mile and half cut, I took off and put more distance ahead of Will.

I went through the two mile mark slower than I would have liked, but sub 11, which is very good for me. Unfortunately the last mile is one of the last, you have to go up a paved hill, through a bunch of sand, and up a nice rocky hill. I personally love that last rocky hill, and is usually where I manage to lose or get by quite a few people there, and when you get over the hill it's all downhill.

I didn't have the fastest sprint to the finish, but it wasn't bad. I managed to come through the line at a 17:12. 9 seconds behind Will's record that he set just last year, and fast enough to put me as first for Junior's and by 19 seconds.

Our boys team won by a lot. Sadly, our girls team got defeated by Brunswick (for the first and only time this season) because our top 2 runners did not run.
After the race, around 7:30, my stomach started hurting, and by 11:30 I could no longer stand it, my dad brought me to the ER and I was diagnosed, well all they really found out was that it wasn't apendicitis. And I was dismissed around 6. On our way home, my dad decided to tell me that maybe I should get stomach aches again if it will cause me to run that fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment